Friday, December 21, 2012

Best Books of 2012

Well with only a few days left in 2012 I'm going to go ahead and wrap up my reading list. I have read 95 books this past year. My goal was to shoot for 100, but I didn't quite make it. I blame that on moving into a new house and the fact that one of the books I read was Gone With The Wind (which is over 1,000 pages!).

I have compiled a list of my favorite books that I've read this year in no particular order. They're not necessarily new books that came out this year, just my favorite that I happened to be reading.

1. Same Kind of Different As Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore: This true story really struck a chord with me and I know a lot of other readers as well. It tells the story of a wealthy art dealer and a homeless man and how their lives intersect. A must-read!



2. The Racketeer by John Grisham: While I always enjoy John Grisham's books, they're not usually one of my favorites (except for The Firm! One of my favorite books ever). The Racketeer is about a man in prison who has information about a murder. In exchange for this information, he is given freedom. There are many twists and turns that will make you want to keep reading.



3. Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell: I have always loved this movie, but had never read the book. I think the size of it intimidated me a little. It is one of my all-time favorite books now. Such a beautiful, bitter-sweet story. So glad I stuck with it and read the whole thing.



4. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn: This book has been everywhere! Just about anyone who likes to read has read it, I think. Nevertheless, all the hype is true. It is a fantastic book....especially if you like mystery thrillers. It tells the story of a man who wakes up on his fifth wedding anniversary to find his wife has disappeared. The story will keep you guessing all the way through and make you wonder what will happen next.



5. My Life in France by Julia Child: This book tells the true story of Julia Child moving to France and how it all started. She is a very good story-teller and I loved all the imagery she describes from France. And all the delicious food!



6. Before I Go To Sleep by S. J. Watson: Another fantastic thriller! This story is told from the point of view of Christine, a woman who wakes up everyday and can't remember anything. She starts piecing some things together though and realizes that she may be trusting the wrong people.



7. The Flight of Gemma Hardy by Margot Livesey: A cozy book that reminds me of "A Little Princess". Gemma is an orphan and this story follows her from childhood into adulthood. It's kind of a sad story that makes you root for Gemma the whole way through.



8. Creative Counterpart by Linda Dillow: This is more of a bible-study/self-help book. I really enjoyed it! Great book to read for any married woman. Makes you think about your marriage in a different light and gives good ideas.



9. Left Neglected by Lisa Genova: This was another popular book in the blogger world. And also for a good reason! The main character of the book gets into a car accident and suffers a brain injury that affects everything on her left side, making even the smallest tasks difficult. Genova also wrote Still Alice, which I've read and enjoyed and Love Anthony, which I haven't read yet, but plan to.



10. Kisses From Katie by Katie Davis: I purchased this for my mom last year for Christmas so it has been a long time since I've read it. It's one of those that I could definitely read again. It is an amazing true story about a young girl from Nashville who moves to Africa and adopts 13 children! She has such a heart for the Lord. A very inspiring story!



11. A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg:  My mom and I are suckers for true stories that include recipes in them. This is one of the best ones of those that I've read. Wizenberg shares stories and recipes from her life. A really good book!



12. One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp: A beautifully written book that forces you to look at the little things in life and be thankful in all situations. It's difficult at first to get used to her style of writing, but a definite must-read.



No comments:

Post a Comment